Taken from: Relationship Fundraising
Author: Ken Burnett
- Fundraising is not about raising money. It’s about meeting needs and bringing about change.
- People give to people, not to organizations or even causes. Fundraising is a people business. Personal requests work best. Fund development is people development.
- Friend-making comes before fundraising.
- Open their hearts. Then open their minds. Then open their cheque books.
- Communicate need, to bring the problem to the donor.
- Set clear targets. Communicate your goals to your donors. Communicate action and success to encourage full involvement.
- Know how much to ask each prospect for, and when.
- The most important two words are thank you. Acknowledge every donation with a friendly, personal letter. Give larger donors special treatment.
- Encourage donors to identify with your organizations, to feel a sense of shard ownership.
- Always be honest, open and truthful with donors. Share your problems as well as your successes.